As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Painting the surface beautifies the object and makes it stand out in the space. But, even the base coat requires a topcoat for double protection. The latex paints are less durable than oil paints and fade with time. That’s why, this guide discusses the best clear coat over latex paints and how you should buy them in detail.
- Our Top Clear Coat Over Latex Paint Reviews
- Features Of Clear Coat Over Latex Paint
Our Top Clear Coat Over Latex Paint Reviews
Before we go to the reviews, we would like to bring something to your notice which people often neglect. A very important health hazard that revolves around latex paints and their coats is their toxicity.
Hence, it is essential to cover your nose and hands and eyes using eye gears to prevent any direct contact with chemical-based coats.
General Finishes High-Performance Water Based Topcoat
The competition for the best of best is quite tight when choosing the best clear coat over latex paint. Thus, the best overall had to be the best finish with no compromise. That’s why General Finishes High-Performance Water Based Topcoat tops the list.
The brand is on its progressive stage yet has given tough competition to the most renowned Polyurethane clear coats for latex paints. This topcoat consists of a UV stabilizing agent that claims to protect your furniture’s surfaces from the sun’s harmful radiations. Moreover, its finish is so firm that it prevents fading of the paint at any cost.
But what makes General Finishes’ High-Performance Water Based Topcoat stand out from its competitors? You will be surprised to know that this topcoat can even seal the floor paints with ease. A Polyurethane coat that provides such a wide range of facilities is rare.
- It provides scratch resistance to the basecoat.
- The chip-resistant coating doesn’t have a disturbing smell.
- The clear coat can be used for exterior surfaces.
- It gives a matte finish to wooden furniture.
- No bubbling while application.
- It can leave amber shade after application.
- Plastic Gallon Jug - due to an metal can shortage, product may come in a plastic jug instead of a...
- The hardest, most durable consumer polyurethane top coat on the market today
- Dry Time Between Coats is only 1 to 2 Hours
Rust-Oleum Varathane 200241H Water-based Ultimate Polyurethane
Rust-Oleum Varathane 200241H Water-Based Ultimate Polyurethane is undoubtedly an excellent deal as a clear coat. The clear coat isn’t like a regular clear coat. Its finish is very graceful and classy and works fine with smooth to rough surfaces.
This clear coat is a water-based Polyurethane which is less toxic in comparison to oil-based topcoats. Rust Oleum’s water-based clear coat is highly versatile. It can go well with almost every type of colored and non-colored surface, irrespective of its tone.
Moreover, its fast drying ability allows you to recoat the surface in just two hours. The coat is quite durable and can last for years. But the fact that makes it stand out from its competitors is its mildest odor, making it a good choice for indoor coating surfaces.
Since latex is water-based paint, it isn’t as durable as oil paint. Thus, it requires a reliable varnish to sustain itself that doesn’t produce harmful fumes. That’s why Rust-Oleum Varathane 200241H Water-based Ultimate Polyurethane clear coat is safe to use when you have pets and small kids at home.
- The clear coat can dry up within two hours of application.
- It is scratch-proof.
- The cleaning of the clear coat is as easy as washing napkins. You require water and soap to clean the extra product.
- No yellowing like other products.
- It boosts the overall look of the indoor furniture and walls.
- It isn’t an excellent choice for outdoor coating surfaces.
- Protects indoor wood surfaces such as furniture, windows, cabinets, trim and more
- Water based formula dries fast and cleans up with soap and water
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes with coverage up to 125 sq. ft., recoat after 2 hours
Minwax 63333444 Polycrylic Protective FinishNo products found.
The best clear coat over latex paint isn’t easy to find. But, guess what? No products found. is the deal sealer. This clear cum topcoat offers a paint-like finish. The best part about this coat is its nominal pricing in comparison to its counterparts.
This topcoat works fantastic for bare wooden surfaces. It is hard to find a clear coat that works out well for both warm and cool tones. Some of the clear coats can turn the cool colors yellowish or dull otherwise due to their substrate.
This Minwax finish can smoothly clear coat warm and cold colors. The glossy finish will only add to the charm of the object.
The clear coat is so easy to use that anyone can use it to its best without the assistance of any professional. Its quick-drying formula saves time; thus, you can recoat your surface again in just 2 hours.
In addition to this, the clear coat is significantly easy to clean. All you need to do is to take water and soap and wipe the coat on the surface. And that’s it! You are good to go again. The durability of Minwax 63333444 Polycrylic Protective Finish is quitecommendable. A few coats of this clear coat can last for years.
- The clear coat leaves a satin finish over the surface of the application.
- It comes in paint and aerosol.
- It provides perfect coverage. Using only 1-qt of the coat, you can coat more than 550 sq. ft. of surface.
- Incautious application will make a coating with visible brush strokes. Not recommended for extremely thin coats.
No products found.
Rust-Oleum 260165 Ultimate Polyurethane
The clear coat that works best for the inside is not a fit for exterior purposes. The Rust-Oleum 260165 Ultimate Polyurethane is the best choice for indoor surfaces. This clear coat has been competing as one of the best coats for indoor wooden beddings and furniture for years.
The clear coats are available in a wide range of applications. Carpenters can use some to seal wooden furniture only while others work best for all the surfaces. Following this, there are two types of clear coat:
- One that works best for both inside and outside painted surfaces.
- One that works best for inside purposes only.
The chemicals in the clear coat are potent enough to prevent the surface from any scratch or damage. Also, it gives a matte shine to the surface and contains traces of smudges or fingerprints. The texture of the Rust-Oleum clear coat has a thick consistency. Hence, the product will not drip and get wasted.
- The topcoat is stain proof and holds resistance against marks and scratches.
- After 2-3 layers, the overcoat becomes fully robust.
- Easy to clean.
- Unique feel — velvety to the touch.
- It leaves a matte finish on the basecoat.
- Before you apply another coat, you have to entirely sand off the previous layer very well to achieve a smooth surface.
- Protects interior wood surfaces such as cabinets, doors, trim and more
- Water based acrylic formula dries fast and cleans up with soap and water
- Dries to the touch in 1 hour and covers up to 150 sq. ft. per quart; recoat after 2 hours
Features Of Clear Coat Over Latex Paint
There’s no shortage of high-quality clear coats in the market, but sifting through dozens of options to find the right one can be challenging. But there’s a better way to go about making a purchase decision.
|Product||Medium||Glossiness||Recommended Mode of Application||Toxicity|
|General Finishes Topcoat||Water-based||Satin||Brush||Non-toxic|
Learning about the various aspects of clear coats and the difference they make to your experience can make finding the right product very easy.
Here a few factors you must consider when buying clear coats:
#1 The Medium
Clear coating is available in two widely used mediums, i.e., water and oil. There are various pros and cons of both the medium. Hence, choose what suits best for the requirement.
Oil-Based Clear Coat
An oil-based clear coat provides a firm coating over the paint and is oily in texture. The oil-based clear coat is thicker in consistency as compared to the water-based clear coat. But, coating the walls and ceiling with an oil-based clear coat can turn the paint slightly yellow.
The warm yellow tone doesn’t go well with all color shades, especially blue, which can often appear as green. Also, the drying rate is relatively slow as compared to the water-based one. These clear coats can be lightened or removed by using mineral spirit or ‘thinner,’ readily available in any carpenter shop.
Water-Based Clear Coat
The water-based clear coat is milky in appearance and contains less harmful chemicals than an oil-based clear coat. But, unlike the oil coat that goes well for dark colors and shade, a water-based clear coat can make the walls and surface look milky.
Moreover, because of its lighter consistency, you should apply more coats evenly to get good results. All of the clear coats discussed above are water based latex coats.
Mixed-Based Clear Coat
If you are confused about whether you should pick the oil-based or water-based clear coat, then selecting a mixed based might be a good choice. The mixed-based clear coat is composed of oil-modified and water-based agents. Thus, one gets the amber finishing over their latex-painted walls with low VOC emissions.
The glossiness of the clear coat is another feature to consider while buying the one for you. As you know, a clear coat not only protects the basecoat (paints) but gives a shine to the surface.
There are various levels of glossiness one can choose from. There are four broad categories to choose from:
- Super glossy
#3 The Mode Of Application
Different topcoats require different modes of application. You can pick the topcoat that you find the easiest to apply. There are three main ways of application that manufacturers recommend:
- Brush: works precisely like applying paint on the walls; General’s clear coat is one of the examples.
- Wipe: the application is similar to that of plastering the walls; Rust-oleum coats are available in wipe application mode.
- Spray: can be sprayed directly on the wall like the Minwax clear coats.
There are a wide variety of clear coats available in the supermarket that contain harmful toxins. The manufacturing companies of these clear coats use solid chemical agents to get effective results.
Moreover, the cost price of these potent chemicals is relatively lower than their alternatives; that’s how making a cost-efficient clear coat is possible for some companies.
Some adverse effects of applying toxic topcoats include:
Isocyanates are one of the harmful toxins present in the water-based clear coats for latex paints. They are very reactive and toxic to the person using them. According to doctors and researchers, this chemical can penetrate the skin or can find its way into your body when you breathe.
This chemical ingredient present in your clear coat can even penetrate the latex gloves and go beneath your skin then after. It is clinically proved that it can alter the immune system’s sensitivity response. In addition, using Isocyanate based clear coats can lead to asthma and other breathing issues.
Another hazardous toxin that is capable of damaging the consumer is lacquer. The lacquer-based clear coat is used for coating the wooden furniture that is painted with latex paints. According to researchers, this toxin is harmful if swallowed in any way. A worker who spends a year using lacquer as a clear is prone to develop breathing problems.
When a worker is detected with lacquer poisoning, he can have the following symptoms:
- Difficulty while inhaling.
- Swelling in the throat.
- Blood in urine.
- Renal failure
- Burning sensation in-ear, eyes, nose, lips, and ears.
- Damage to vision
- Burning sensation in the skin.
Polyurethane is a clear coat that is widely used over latex paints. Generally, people use Polyurethane to coat wooden furniture to prevent them from damaging it. The clear coat composed of Polyurethane comes in water and oil-based medium, out of which oil-based is slightly toxic between both.
Excess exposure to such chemicals can not harm the applicator and the person who would use the furniture. As per studies, it is recorded that children are prone to have asthma, rhinitis, and breathing issues due to Polyurethane poisoning.
The guide has shared one of the best clear coats as per the product reviews in 2021. These clear coats are durable and are worth the price. If you had applied the topcoat properly, you have nothing to worry about for the next upcoming years.