As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For metal roofs and other types too, an underlayment acts as a barrier against rain, ice, heat, and cold. In fact, it protects the underlayment roofing material as well, making sure it runs through its expected time.
As there are two types of underlayment to choose from, you should know the differences to make an informed choice. To help you choose the best underlayment for metal roof, this article has been put together after much research on products. Read on to know the key points!
- Our Top Metal Roof Underlayment Reviews
- ArmorLay 25 Synthetic Metal Roof Underlayment 4′ x 250′
- Tyvek Protec 120 Metal Roof Underlayment 4′ x 250′ – 1 Roll
- Metal Roof Protector Underlayment Roll – 42″ x 286′
- Tyvek Protec 200 Underlayment for Metal Roof Roll – 4′ x 50′ – 2 Square
- Tyvek Protec 120 Underlayment for Metal Roofing – 4′ x 50′ – 2 Square
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
Our Top Metal Roof Underlayment Reviews
ArmorLay 25 Synthetic Metal Roof Underlayment 4′ x 250′
The synthetic component of this metal roof underlayment makes it tougher than its felt counterpart.
Each roll of this product covers 1,000 square feet of surface area and the whole thing weighs less than 25 pounds, making it lightweight and easier to transport.
When compared to traditional felt paper, a single roll is 5 times lighter, 5 times stronger, and gives 5 times more coverage. In addition, the results are longer lasting and it produces a wrinkle-free finish. It’s better suited for regions with very high temperatures as it has a higher tolerance for sizzling temperatures.
It can withstand direct exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun for 60 days without drying up. This feature helps in hot and dry climates and in situations where construction has been put on hold temporarily.
Besides being waterproof, the lower surface has anti-slip polymer applied so that it can be used easily and safely. The material is also uniquely textured so that walking on sloping a metal roof become a cakewalk.
The product is suitable for use with steep slopes, roofs, and asphalt shingles. It’s free from buckles or warps, thereby giving a smooth look. With its cool gray color, it retains less heat and doesn’t get very hot to the touch, making the contractors’ work easier.
This does not tear easily and is more durable, thanks to the stronger thermoplastic material. Also, there is no chance of this flying off the metal roof or shifting from its place in case there is a gale.
- One roll weighs less than 25 pounds for easy transportation.
- 5 times stronger and lighter than felt paper.
- One roll covers 1,000 square feet area.
- Wrinkle-free for a smooth finish.
- UV exposure for up to 60 days.
- 10 square roll covers 1,000 square feet
- Meets performance characteristics ASTM D4869 and ASTM D226 Standards
- 60 Day exposure to UV
Tyvek Protec 120 Metal Roof Underlayment 4′ x 250′ – 1 Roll
When you have to rely only on yourself to do the metal roof, this product will act as a second pair of hands to make your job light!
Not only can you use this for new metal roofing but also for re-roofing and repair work on the metal roof. It’s compatibles with the most common roofing materials: metal roofing, cedar shingles, and asphalt shingles.
The walkability feature of this metal roof underlayment is industry-leading. Coming from the renowned house of Dupont, it’s not a surprise! This metal roofing has a unique 4-layer construction that makes its walkability feature incomparable.
The anti-slip layer makes it easy to get a firm grip on the metal roof and results in high performance. Its strength is commendable; the credit goes to the woven polypropylene.
A layer of water barrier makes it completely waterproof. The icing is the grooves on the top layer to resist against dust and water to settle.
The product is perfect to ensure a safe working environment and its suitable for 2:12 or even higher slopes.
As each roll of the product is 4 feet tall, it fosters a quicker dry-in time than conventional 3-feet felt ones. The wrinkle-free finish makes chalking an easy process. The UV exposure duration is 3 months.
- Unique 4-layer construction for top performance, strength, and protection.
- UV exposure longer with 3 months for greater moisture and dust barrier.
- Lightweight for single-user installation.
- Quicker dry-in time with a 4-feet tall roll.
- Superior walkability for a safer work environment.
- Compatible with roofs with asphalt shingles, cedar shingles and metal roofs
- Use for repair, re-roofing and new construction applications
- Trusted quality and durability from DuPont Tyvek
Metal Roof Protector Underlayment Roll – 42″ x 286′
Suitable for both residential and commercial complexes, this metal roof protector has all the features for a hassle-free installation.
The lightweight material makes installation easy under a metal roof or asphalt shingles. With a high strength to weight ratio, you can use this on sloping roofs with 2:12 or higher ratios.
Each roll covers 1,000 square feet and with 10 squares per roll and 2-inch chalk marks, installation is flat and easy. The design is such that it remains uniform after installation. Moreover, the squares make laying more efficient as you will need less labor and time and fewer overlaps and fasteners.
With a special 4-layer construction, you will get any benefits from this underlayment for metal roofs. Its strength prevents tearing at fastening points – thanks to the woven polypropylene scrim – making it highly durable.
It’s also highly resistant to slipping with its firm grip layer on top. This is such an important feature for contractors who work on sloping roofs in dusty and wet conditions. This property ensures top safety and minimum occupational hazard.
The lamination layer provides superb protection against moisture and rain so that your metal roofing will not be in ruins. Even 90-days continuous ultraviolet ray exposure from direct sunlight will not affect the metal roof protector and won’t dry it up.
With superior insulation property, you can use this with peace of mind even in climates with extreme heat and dry conditions. The medium gray color helps to resist heat so that you won’t find it hot to the touch plus with less heat retention, the metal roof will not absorb and transmit the heat throughout the home.
- 1,000 square feet coverage per roll with 10 squares for easy installation.
- Flat design for a uniform finish.
- 4-layer construction for moisture protection, anti-slip grip, and strength.
- UV exposure duration of 90 days.
- Superior insulation property for use in extreme weather conditions.
- Lightweight for easy handling and installation with 90 day UV exposure
- Superior tear resistance compared to roofing felt for increased durability
- Ideal for for sloped (>= 2:12) commercial and residential roofs and roofing applications under...
Tyvek Protec 200 Underlayment for Metal Roof Roll – 4′ x 50′ – 2 Square
If you have found it difficult to seal metal roof underlayment around nail holes, then synthetic underlayment is for you as it has superior self-sealing abilities.
Whether the roof is made from slate, steel, asphalt shingles, tile, or cedar shingles, this metal roof protector is for all types of materials.
With a UV exposure of up to 6 months, you get the maximum scope to have the roof material protected under situations where the construction has to stop for a prolonged period. No dust or water will penetrate the synthetic material to seep into the metal roof and damage it.
The 4-feet by 50-feet roll covers 2 squares, making it ideal to work on small-scale projects, or if you’re working by yourself, or in situations where you need only a few squares.
The walkability feature is one of the top in the industry and you can work comfortably work on 2:12 or even higher slopes, making it the best underlayment for metal roof.
Create a safe work environment with this underlayment for a metal roof with its leading-edge 4-layer construction. The slip-resistant layer on top means you can get a firm grip while working on the metal roof, thereby ensuring high performance.
The anti-tear property makes this a durable product as it is composed of woven polypropylene. The grooves on the top layer prevent the accumulation of dust and water and provide an intelligent water barrier. Hence, you get an all-around safe and effective construction environment.
The material is free from wrinkles and gives a smooth and flat finish. It’s also easy to put chalk marks on for ease of work.
- UV exposure for up to 6 months.
- 4-layer construction for strength, performance, water barrier, and safety.
- Anti-tear property for durability.
- Easy to chalk and free from wrinkles for a uniform look.
- 2 squares coverage for smaller or single-handed projects.
- Compatible with roof types of asphalt shingles, cedar shingles, metal, tile and slate roofs.
- 40-year limited product replacement warranty for builders, general contractors and Professional...
- UV-resistance with up to 6-months UV exposure per ASTM D226 Type I & II, ICC-ES AC188; Intertek...
Tyvek Protec 120 Underlayment for Metal Roofing – 4′ x 50′ – 2 Square
Wondering how to put the roof underlayment on that patio all by yourself? Worry no more as this underlayment for metal roof will make your work light but performance heavy!
The 4-feet- by 50-feet package with 2-square roll size is easy to handle for projects where you are the sole worker, or you need just a few more squares, or if the project is a small-scale one.
Use it on slopes with 2:12 or higher strength to weight ratios with its excellent walkability. Be it metal cladding or cedar or asphalt shingles, this underlayment for metal roofing is the perfect protector.
With the signature 4-layer construction, you will have no complaints regarding the strength and durability of this product. The top layer is specially designed with grooves to prevent the collection of dirt and water.
The anti-slip covering makes walking on it safe and comfortable. The woven polypropylene composite creates strength and anti-tear abilities. With the water barrier property, you can be sure that your roofing material will remain safe from the elements.
Its UV exposure is up to 3 months, making it a worry-free product if you need to halt the construction temporarily before putting the roof on. It’s the ideal metal roofing underlayment for commercial and residential buildings as it can withstand demanding weather conditions.
It’s easy to lay it flat and remains so, giving a warp-free and uniform finish. If you want to put chalk marks on the material, you can do so easily.
- 4-feet by 50-feet with 2 squares for easy handling.
- Excellent walkability feature for 2:12 or higher slopes.
- Suitable for all types of roofing materials – metal, cedar, or asphalt.
- UV exposure of 3 months without drying.
- Warp-free and smooth finish, easy to chalk.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Types of Underlayment for a Metal Roof?
There are two types of underlayment for a metal roof – felt paper and synthetic, each with its pros and cons.
The synthetic type is a relatively newer technology and is made by spinning together polyethylene or polypropylene with a polymer. It’s a better and more advanced underlayment for metal roofing.
Asphalt or the felt paper is made from natural or synthetic materials like natural fibers and wood cellulose, or fiberglass or polyester. The base material is then treated by dipping in asphalt to make it waterproof.
Does Underlayment for Metal Roofing Consist of One Layer?
Not necessarily. A underlayment for metal roofing could have multiple layers. Between the ceiling of the house and the metal roof, you might have a layer to act as a water barrier, another one for thermal insulation, and yet another reflective layer for insulation.
The reflective layer applies in hot regions to resist the build-up of heat in the building.
No matter where you are going to construct your home or office, remember that this is a huge investment and that none of the building parts should be neglected. As they say, a stitch in time saves nine and so will a roof over your head if it has the right underlayment for metal roofing to handle all types of situations.