As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you tired of searching for the best deal-sealing glow plug for your 7.3 Powerstroke? Well, worry not! This guide sums up the best glow plugs for 7.3 Powerstroke along with their best qualities in detail that will justify the specs of your Powerstroke engine.
Our Top Best Glow Plugs for 7.3 Powerstroke Review
Glow plugs are essential to start the diesel engine specifically in cold weather. However, modern diesel engines manufactured these days don’t require glow plugs to start off. Though, there are some engines like 7.3 Powerstroke (made before 2004) that need glow plugs to run.
OEM Ford / Motorcraft Idi 7.3l DIESEL Glow Plug
The glow plugs that are worth the hype and top the list are none other than Motorcraft DIESEL glow plugs.
The majority of purchasers were pleased with the product’s performance. They praised the product’s high-quality build, enabling it to warm up quickly and effectively, allowing it to assist in engine ignition.
Some users complained that it didn’t function well with solenoid glow plugs, but they were happy with its compatibility.
It shines out to us since it is highly effective at fast igniting the engine. The product’s solid material design allows for a lot of thermal expansion. Furthermore, it warms up to extremely high temperatures in a short period which makes it stand out from the rest of of the glow plugs available in the market.
It is ideal for anyone searching for an easy-to-install, high-quality glow plug from a reputable manufacturer. This item is quite dependable, as it comes with a 1-year warranty and can last because of its sturdy design.
It would not be necessary to replace it regularly.
- This Motorcraft glow plug is compatible with several diesel vehicles.
- The user-friendly design makes it easy to install.
- These glow plugs come with a 1-year warranty replacement.
- The premium-quality material enables these glow plugs to heat up without any difficulty.
- It cannot withstand very harsh temperature conditions.
- It cannot build up enough resistance.
- ZD9 s/s to ZD29, Now Shipping ZD29 MC3Z12A342E
- Offering the Quality, Reliability and Durability You'd Expect from OEM Parts
- Research Applications Prior to Purchase To Make Sure This OEM Part Fits Your Vehicle, Including...
Bosch 80028 Glow Plug
If you want a glow plug that fits your 7.3 Powerstroke and is the best fit, then you can blindly pick the Bosch 80028 glow plug. This Bosch glow plug is a high-performance glow plug for a quick warm-up.
One of the most well-known brands in the industry is offering this plug. As a result, you can expect high quality and a short heat-up time. Unfortunately, Bosch glow plugs are the only ones with this technology.
It allows the plugs to attain higher temperatures in a shorter amount of time. This means your engine will start faster, even at low temperatures.
These plugs have nickel-plated threads, preventing them from seizing and improving their overall durability and strength. As a result, unlike others, you don’t have to be concerned about the plugs coming off.
The double Viton seals are another characteristic that provides these Bosch plugs a competitive edge. The latter shields the plugs’ coil from harm. They contribute to the plugs’ longer life cycle and safeguard them from significant damage.
- It has Duraterm Technology for fast heating.
- The twin Viton seals make it last longer and guards the coil.
- It is damage resistant because of its design.
- The roll threads made of nickel protects it from getting seized.
- May not serve well in extreme weather conditions.
- These glow plugs are only compatible with the vehicles manufactured between 1988 and 1994.
- [FAST START-UP] - Bosch patented Duraterm technology enables the glow plug to reach higher...
- [ANTI-SEIZE DESIGN] - Nickel-plated, rolled threads offer increased strength and prevent seizure
- [LONGER LIFE] - Twin Viton seals promote longer life by protecting the coils against exhaust gas...
The last item on our list is Ensun Glow Plugs. Again, the usability of this item has won the heart of many buyers. For many consumers, this was the ideal replacement kit because it included eight glow plugs. Furthermore, its superior design was more durable and long-lasting than the ordinary glow plug they had previously examined.
We like this apartment for a variety of reasons. To begin with, it performs admirably for a product of such little cost.
It provides a quick and easy ignition process. Furthermore, unlike other glow plugs, they are made of high-quality materials and do not need to be replaced every few months.
If your car is compatible with this device, it will be a fantastic investment. Because of its ergonomic design, this machine is straightforward to set up. It also proves to be a long-term investment due to its high-quality construction, making it solid and durable.
Overall, it is a high-quality product. If you can find one that fits your vehicle, you should consider purchasing one.
Ensun is known for making some of the most incredible glow plugs on the market, and this unit is one of their best, making it well worth it.
- Cost-efficient and comes with premium ergonomic design.
- These Ensun glow plugs have dual coils for quick heating.
- They come with a reliable warranty.
- It has restricted compatibility.
- 【Premium Quality】: High Performance DUAL COILS Quick Start & Hotter Glow Plugs
- 【Direct Fit】: Direct replacement for a proper fit and easy installation, quality materials used,...
- 【Fitment/Compatibility】: Only for 6.9 and 7.3 Liter Indirect Injected Diesel
Buyers are highly pleased with Motorcraft ZD11 glow plugs because of the product’s performance. Many buyers have said that this is one of the best glow plugs they’ve seen in a long time.
Its corrosion-resistant design makes it a popular choice among consumers. buyers also praised the product’s design, which made it simple to install.
It stands out for a variety of reasons. To begin with, this product is corrosion and vibration-resistant.
Corrosion is the leading cause of wear and tear in a regular glow plug. However, that isn’t the case with this one. Its sturdy structure makes it last longer, while its lifetime warranty ensures its dependability.
It would be a decent replacement glow plug for anyone who is seeking one. It’s not a whole set, but it’ll suffice if one of your previous glow plugs has worn out or isn’t operating as well as it should.
The product is of excellent quality and is compatible with a variety of cars.
Altogether, it is a fantastic unit that is well worth it. The product is made by Motorcraft, making it one of the highest-quality units available. The company is known worldwide for producing high-quality, long-lasting products, and it is one of them.
- These are rust-proof and thus, last long.
- Robustly built of these glow plugs ensures their durability.
- They come with a lifetime warranty, unlike their competitors.
- The package contains only a single unit.
- These glow plugs take a bit longer for ignition.
Powerstroke engine has a specific need that can only be fulfilled by a specific glow plug. One should look for a highly durable glow plug that can match the engine output of the Powerstroke 7.3 in the nail-biting winter.
|Product||Unique Feature||Drawback||Item Weight|
|Motorcraft Idi 7.3l Diesel Glow Plug||Is versatile and compatible with many diesel engines.||It cannot build up enough resistance||0.798 ounces|
|Bosch-80028 Glow Plug||Its Duraterm Technology heats the plug quickly.||May not serve well in extreme weather conditions||0.705 ounces|
|Motorcraft ZD11||Is rust resistant||Is rust-proof||1.13 ounces|
|Ensun E2TZ12A342A||Has dual coils for quick heating||It has restricted compatibility||6.4 ounces|
#1 Non- Corrosive
You might know that spare parts like glow plugs are prone to corrosion since they are made of metals like copper that degrade with the contact of moisture and excess friction.
To avoid this, it is a must for a glow plug to have an external coating of a less reactive metal to help the glow plug last longer.
Apart from a sacrificial metal, a synthetic rubber seal is also used to serve the purpose. These rubber shells sustain themselves against the external oxidizing agents very well. Motorcraft ZD11 glow plug, a stainless steel glow plug, is the one that falls under this category.
#2 An Additional Coil To Regulate And Maintain The Temperature
Several advancements have helped to improve and enhance glow plugs over the years.
Like, the SRM Glow Plugs are one example.
Such glow plugs have double coats of coils, where one is a heating coil, and the other is a regulating coil.
The latter coil sustains a constant high temperature and avoids any drop in the thermal reading when the heating coil hits a temperature of 900 C. In this way, the glow plug keeps running for a long time, like in Bosch glow plugs.
#3 An Excellent Core Material
One of the main components of a glow plug is its core. The stronger and purer the core material would be, the elite the glow plug will be. Therefore, a good quality iron core is a must for a glow plug to function at its best.
Today, manufacturing companies use alloys of iron rather than pure iron to deliver high heat transfusion from the glow plug to the diesel engine. An alloy-based core made extensively of iron will offer good mechanical strength and will last longer.
#4 Proper Insulation
Insulation is an important aspect to boost the work efficiency of a glow plug. However, a suitable quality plug that has below-average insulation is not worth the price.
That’s why before you make your purchase, don’t forget to check if the glow plug offers a Magnesium oxide powder coating for excellent protection or not.
SRM Glow plugs offer Magnesium Oxide coating over their glow plugs that protects them against damage.
Not only that, MgO is electrically insulated and thus, provides proper insulation against electrical discharge to the glow plugs.
#5 Types of Glow Plugs
5.1 Pressure Sensor Glow Plugs (PSG)
A pressure sensor glow plug is a glow plug that electronically enhances the efficiency of the plug by cutting particle emissions. In this way, it helps the glow plug to reach its maximum gas limit.
The PSG uses an inbuilt sensor to gauge the pressure in the combustion chamber and sends the information to the engine management electronics, which determines the glow plug’s required heating pattern.
5.2 High-tech Steel Glow Plugs
The high-tech steel glow plugs are an excellent choice for two- and three-phase glow technologies since they are fast, durable, and eco-friendly. The following are the main differences:
- Three-phase technology (Types GE & GN) – these glow plugs use three heating phases (preheating during ignition, heating during starting, and post-heating for about 3 minutes after starting) to ensure diesel fuel burns more efficiently and quietly, with up to 40% less exhaust gas clouding during cold starting. Even when the outside temperature is -30°C, they guarantee dependable starts.
- Type GV glow plugs (two-phase technology) — these glow plugs are designed to meet older diesel engines’ preheating and heating requirements. They have a quick preheating time of 5-7 seconds and may start from cold.
5.3 Commercial Vehicles Glow Plugs
Many glow plugs offer a comprehensive assortment of glow plugs designed to fulfill the needs of trucks, vans, and other industrial applications.
- The Flame Start System (Type GF) provides dependable, convenient, and ecologically friendly cold-starting performance even at low temperatures.
- Glow plugs (Type GH) for auxiliary heaters for added warmth and comfort, even when it’s freezing outside. Supplemental heaters come in a variety of styles to meet the needs of both gasoline and diesel cars.
- Type GD glow plugs with a wire filament heating element for older diesel vehicles like tractors, tow trucks, and construction equipment. The glow plugs are resistant to heavy disturbances, and the heating element is a wire filament.
SRM glow plugs are more advanced than regular and quick glow (QGS) glow plugs. Glow plugs with two coils are known as Self-Regulating Metal (SRM). The heating coil is provided at the probe’s tip, while the second (regulatory) coil allows for a rapid warm-up period to temperatures over 900°C.
It can sustain a high final temperature on its own after attaining the temperature, allowing for longer post-heating times.
#6 Types of Glow Plugs (Based On Temperature)
Glow plugs are of different types based on temperature modulation. They are hot, medium, or cold, depending on their temperature. A few things will determine the sort of glow plugs you require.
- Gasoline: The ignition point is determined by the proportion of Nitro in your fuel. Because Nitro generates both power and heat, the greater the Nitro percentage, the more relaxed your glow plugs should be.
- Engine type: conventional engines typically use regular glow plugs, whereas turbo engines frequently require specialty plugs.
- Engine size: larger engines have more mass and hold more heat than smaller engines, necessitating hotter glow plugs.
- Acceleration: hot glow plugs encourage better acceleration and idling, which is perfect for slow-accelerating engines. Meanwhile, colder plugs provide more power, which is suitable for warm-running engines.
The uncertainty of weather conditions necessitates a glow plug that can function effectively in various settings and situations. As a result, while acquiring glow plugs, it is critical to purchase from one of the world’s top manufacturers, guarantee reliability under various settings.
#7 Thermal Performance
Checking the thermal performance of a glow plug is necessary when purchasing one. You’ll never get the most significant result out of your engine unless you have efficient thermal expansion. As a result, keep an eye on the heating system.
Do you know? The Powerstroke 7.3 engine is the first-ever engine to get a Powerstroke name label!
It is so because the engine works on an electronic-based control system that can deliver an output of up to 475 horsepower. The delivery of this engine is so excellent that only the best glow plug can assist its performance.
We hope that you can find your suitable glow plug for 7.3 Powerstroke after going through our guide and pick the one that suits the best for your engine.